[Standards] Questions regarding XEP-0065

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Fri Apr 13 14:15:26 CDT 2007

Matthias Wimmer wrote:
> Hi Peter!
>
> Peter Saint-Andre schrieb:
>> AFAIK, we always use hex encoded SHA1 output in our protocols. We can
>> make that explicit in XEP-0065.
>
> That's what I expected, I just wanted to be sure.
>
>>> - In the Reply packet for the socks server to the connect request,
>>> the server transmits the IP address and port that the server uses to
>>> connect to the destination. As XEP-0065 does not really do SOCKS5,
>>> but only uses the syntax of SOCKS5, the proxy will not connect on
>>> this request. So what is expected to be transmitted as this address
>>> and port in the connect reply?
>>
>> It's not clear to me exactly what you are referring to in the spec.
>> Which example is this?
>
> None ... it's in RFC 1928, section 6 ("Replies").
>
> The general SOCKS5 reply message is: VER (X'05'), REP (X'00'  by
> XEP-0065), RSV (X'00' by RFC 1928), ATYPE (addresstype X'01', X'03' or
> X'04'), BND.ADDR, BND.PORT.
>
> For the reply to the CONNECT request RFC1928 reads:
>
> "In the reply to a CONNECT, BND.PORT contains the port number that the
> server assigned to connect to the target host, while BND.ADDR contains
> the associated IP address. The supplied BND.ADDR is often different from
> the IP address that the client uses to reach the SOCKS server, since
> such servers are often multi-homed. [...]"

I don't think that XEP-0065 proxies will ever be multi-homed, so what
Justin does in Iris seems appropriate (just set BND.ADDR and BND.PORT to
the DST.ADDR and DST.PORT from the connection request). This is what
proxy65 does as well.

> Another question (a new one):
>
> In XEP-0065 section 8.2, table 2 ATYP is mapped to have the value 1, 3
> or 4. Are we really every using 1 (IPv4 address) or 4 (IPv6 address) in
> a request? Aren't we always using 3 (originally 'domainname' but we are
> using it to contain the hash).

Yes, we are.

> BTW: The crippled usage of SOCKS5 syntax but not protocol in XEP-0065 is
> one of the reasons I really look forward to do file transfers using
> Jingle.

We need to figure out exactly what that means. Suggestions welcome. :)

> But I guess on the server side I have to support XEP-0096 or
> better XEP-0096-to-Jingle translation for some time ;-)

Probably. :(

XMPP Standards Foundation