[Standards] Re: IDNA text for rfc3920bis

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Sat Apr 14 21:54:51 CDT 2007

On Sat, Apr 14, 2007 at 08:46:43AM +0200, Matthias Wimmer wrote:
> Mridul schrieb:
> > Just a query - can we have domain names which are not fully qualified ?
>
> I think Dave thought about IP addresses. Our production for domain is:
>
> domain          = fqdn / address-literal
>
> So the domain can either be a fully qualified domain name or an address
> literal.

In fact, rfc3920bis says:

   domain          = fqdn / address-literal / idnlabel
   fqdn            = (idnlabel 1*("." idnlabel))
                     ; an "idnlabel" is an internationalized domain
                     ; label as described in RFC 3490
   address-literal = IPv4address / IPv6address
                     ; the "IPv4address" and "IPv6address" rules are
                     ; defined in Appendix B of RFC 3513

So according to rfc3920 a domain identifier can be an unqualified
hostname (i.e., a mere text label). We loosened this compared to RFC
3920 because there is no good reason to say that you can't run an XMPP
server on a local network (or, for example, use unqualified hostnames
for components within an XMPP deployment).

/psa