[Standards] Re: IDNA text for rfc3920bis

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Apr 16 15:02:51 CDT 2007

Joe Hildebrand wrote:

> On Apr 16, 2007, at 2:26 PM, Bruce Campbell wrote:
>>
>> My feeling is that the above is open to misinterpretation, and would
>> suggest:
>>
>>     If the domain identifier includes a final character considered to
>>     be a label seperator (dot) by IDNA (RFC3490) or DNS (STD13), this
>>     character MUST be stripped from the domain identifier before being
>>     used or forwarded further.  Ie, 'jabber.org.' becomes 'jabber.org'
>>     and should be treated as being otherwise identical.
>
> How about "used for comparison" instead of "used".

1. We don't "forward" a domain identifier.

2. We do use a domain identifier as one portion of a JID.

2. We can use the resulting JID to route XML stanzas.

3. We can compare the resulting JID against another JID.

4. We can construct an XMPP URI out of the resulting JID.

So I think:

"... this character MUST be stripped from the domain identifier before
the JID of which it is a part is used for the purpose of routing an XML
stanza, comparing against another JID, or constructing an XMPP URI."

> It should be made
> clear that this should happen at the same time as stringprep, and is
> just another canonicalization step.

Agreed.

XMPP Standards Foundation