[Standards] updated STUN discovery proposal

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu Apr 19 11:39:40 CDT 2007

Matt Tucker wrote:
> Peter,
>
>> For that matter, why not encourage people to use the SRV
>> lookups that have been defined for discovery of STUN servers
>> and not try to do everything over XMPP?
>
> SRV lookups should probably be tried first. The problem is a practical
> one only:
>
>  1) Many hosting companies don't support setting SRV records.
>  2) The person setting up the XMPP server is often not the person with
> control of DNS. Making DNS changes at a large company (for example) can
> be like pulling teeth.
>
> So, I think it's a good idea for us to serve up STUN servers via XMPP as
> an alternative. But we should keep it as simple as possible. Maybe
> there's a requirement to make STUN servers change all the time... I just
> haven't heard it yet?

Chris Mullins provided his reasoning for using a well-known pubsub node
here:

http://www.jabber.org/muc-logs/council@conference.jabber.org/2007-04-10.html#12:26:02

"STUN servers will change all the time" was not among his reasons. But
he can defend his reasoning better than I can...

XMPP Standards Foundation