[Standards] updated STUN discovery proposal

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu Apr 19 12:26:01 CDT 2007

Sean Egan wrote:
> On 4/19/07, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at jabber.org> wrote:
>> "STUN servers will change all the time" was not among his reasons. But
>> he can defend his reasoning better than I can...
>
> I'm mostly fine with as long as we can put a "username" and "password"
> attribute in there to allow for authentication with the STUN server.
>
> These username and password values will probably want to expire for
> security on many implementations. That's a good enough reason to
> consider these values to "change all the time."

Right. So it's not a mere list of STUN servers, it's a list of STUN
servers with credentials.

1. Are the credentials different for each server (I would expect so). We
can handle that with pubsub.

2. Are the credentials different for each user who requests the server
list? We can't handle that with pubsub.

XMPP Standards Foundation