[Standards] (ab)uses of 0059 in 0060

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Sat Apr 28 08:20:54 CDT 2007

Bruce Campbell wrote:

> Result Set Management (0059) defines a (draft) standard for limiting
> what is returned as a result of a query, and how many possible results
> there are.  In reading it, there are no suggestions as to how 'deep'
> within a protocol it can be used.

As deep as you like.

> Anyone with strong feelings one way or the other on this behaviour?

I'm generally in favor of incorporating RSM into XEPs whenever the
protocol possibly will eventually be required to scale for larger data sets.

XEP-0060 already enables a large data item to be mapped to a collection
of nodes. However adding optional RSM would seem to offer more flexibility.

- Ian