[Standards] compliance levels for 2008

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Apr 30 13:06:55 CDT 2007

At the "XMPP Summit" held after FOSDEM in late February, we decided to
more clearly define compliance levels for XMPP servers and clients. As
part of that effort, the XMPP Council promised to:

1. Define updated compliance levels each year.

2. Complete definition of the next year's levels by June 30.

Since 2007-06-30 is fast approaching, we need to complete our work on
the 2008 compliance levels soon. To that end we recently published three
XEPs:

XEP-0211: XMPP Basic Client 2008
           http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0211.html

XEP-0212: XMPP Basic Server 2008
           http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0212.html

XEP-0213: XMPP Intermediate Client 2008
           http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0213.html

(There is no "intermediate server" level because the intermediate
features we have defined so far are all client-side features, but that
may change as a result of discussion on this list.)

These documents are on a "fast track" so that the XMPP Council can
approve them by June 30. I propose the following schedule:

1. April 30 - May 30

    Open discussion on standards at xmpp.org list.

2. May 30

    XMPP Council issues Last Call on XEPs 211-213.

3. May 30 - June 20

    Last Call discussion on standards at xmpp.org list.

4. June 27

    XMPP Council votes on advancing XEPs 211-213 to Draft.

Please provide your feedback sooner rather than later.

Thanks!

XMPP Standards Foundation