[Standards] geoloc: PEP=user, <iq>=resource

Stephen Pendleton pendleto at movsoftware.com
Fri Jun 1 10:25:43 CDT 2007

I didnt write the spec, but did a implementation of it. I agree that iq
method should return the location of the resource, and PEP the "user".

However, either I am going looney, or someone messed with XEP-0080.
Previously the example of the <message> response using the pubsub method
was:

<message from='pubsub.shakespeare.lit'
         to='bassanio at merchantofvenice.lit'>
  <event xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub#event'>
    <items node='n48ad4fj78zn38st734'>
      <item id='i1s2d3f4g5h6bjeh936'>
        <geoloc xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/geoloc'>
          <description>Venice</description>
          <lat>45.44</lat>
          <lon>12.33</lon>
        </geoloc>
      </item>
    </items>
  </event>
  <addresses xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/address'>
    <address type='replyto' jid='portia at merchantofvenice.lit'/>
  </addresses>
</message>

Now it seems to be:

<message from='portia at merchantofvenice.lit'
         to='bassanio at merchantofvenice.lit/home'>
  <event xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub#event'>
    <items node='http://jabber.org/protocol/geoloc'>
      <item id='a1s2d3f4g5h6bjeh936'>
        <geoloc xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/geoloc' xml:lang='en'>
          <country>Italy</country>
          <lat>45.44</lat>
          <locality>Venice</locality>
          <lon>12.33</lon>
        </geoloc>
      </item>
    </items>
  </event>
</message>

This seems to indicate that the <message> is sent with a from attribute of
the user, not the pubsub component - this seems to correspond to what PEP
specifies the behavior should be, but not pubsub. Also the <addrsses> tags
are gone. The more recent example seems to be wrong if you are using pubsub
(not PEP), because all the examples in the pubsub JEP indicate that the
message comes from the pubsub component not the user itself. Was this change
made to indicate that the geoloc node is for the location of the user in the
"from" attribute, or because there is an assumption that PEP is being used?
I was previously using the <addresses> information for this purpose.

As a larger issue I guess I don't see why there is a disconnect between
pubsub and PEP in terms of what the <message> from attribute is.