[Standards] geoloc: PEP=user, <iq>=resource

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Fri Jun 1 11:33:41 CDT 2007

Stephen Pendleton wrote:
> I didnt write the spec, but did a implementation of it. I agree that iq
> method should return the location of the resource, and PEP the "user".
>
> However, either I am going looney, or someone messed with XEP-0080.
> Previously the example of the <message> response using the pubsub method
> was:
>
> <message from='pubsub.shakespeare.lit'
>          to='bassanio at merchantofvenice.lit'>
>   <event xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub#event'>
>     <items node='n48ad4fj78zn38st734'>
>       <item id='i1s2d3f4g5h6bjeh936'>
>         <geoloc xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/geoloc'>
>           <description>Venice</description>
>           <lat>45.44</lat>
>           <lon>12.33</lon>
>         </geoloc>
>       </item>
>     </items>
>   </event>
>   <addresses xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/address'>
>     <address type='replyto' jid='portia at merchantofvenice.lit'/>
>   </addresses>
> </message>
>
> Now it seems to be:
>
> <message from='portia at merchantofvenice.lit'
>          to='bassanio at merchantofvenice.lit/home'>
>   <event xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub#event'>
>     <items node='http://jabber.org/protocol/geoloc'>
>       <item id='a1s2d3f4g5h6bjeh936'>
>         <geoloc xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/geoloc' xml:lang='en'>
>           <country>Italy</country>
>           <lat>45.44</lat>
>           <locality>Venice</locality>
>           <lon>12.33</lon>
>         </geoloc>
>       </item>
>     </items>
>   </event>
> </message>
>
> This seems to indicate that the <message> is sent with a from attribute of
> the user, not the pubsub component - this seems to correspond to what PEP
> specifies the behavior should be, but not pubsub. Also the <addrsses> tags
> are gone. The more recent example seems to be wrong if you are using pubsub
> (not PEP), because all the examples in the pubsub JEP indicate that the
> message comes from the pubsub component not the user itself. Was this change
> made to indicate that the geoloc node is for the location of the user in the
> "from" attribute, or because there is an assumption that PEP is being used?
> I was previously using the <addresses> information for this purpose.
>
> As a larger issue I guess I don't see why there is a disconnect between
> pubsub and PEP in terms of what the <message> from attribute is.

In PEP, your bare JID simply *is* a virtual pubsub server, so the 'from'
address is your bare JID, so there is no need for the <addresses> info
(that was necessary if the node was hosted on a pubsub component with
its own separate JID, but not in PEP since the pubsub service is your
bare JID).

XMPP Standards Foundation