[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: MUC Auto-Join

Chris Mullins chris.mullins at coversant.net
Fri Jun 1 15:32:51 CDT 2007

This is something we've talked about a number of time, and I'm still a
bit torn on it.

On one hand, I really like having a Conference Room (which is just a
JID) on my roster. It's integrated with what I want to do, the Roster
GUI is already defined and present, and I'm used to interacting with
people and starting a conversation by clicking on a user in the roster.
It's a very pragmatic solution, and fits quite well.

On the other hand, a conference room is different, and having it on the
roster doesn't make sense. For example, looking at my roster I can't
tell a conference room from a normal user. Maybe I threw it in a Group
called "Conference Rooms", but that's pretty weak in terms of metadata.

The conference room doesn't have an Avatar associated with it, so it's
going to look a bit funky in my roster (at least in the implementations
that I know of). The room also doesn't have a VCard associated with it,
so I can't really show a lot of data for the room, when treating it as a
Contact. When a user clicks on the roster item, the client typically
starts sending messages - in the case of the conference room, how does
the client know to instead start the conversation out by sending
directed presence?

There are two solutions I like a bit more, both of which are more work:
1 - A "Startup" section in private storage (or a Startup PubSub node),
that contains XMPP URI's that are acted upon when the client starts up.
This could be very generic, and be extended to allow anything that RFC
4622 allows. It would be widely supported across clients, and is very
flexible.

2 - Adding metadata into the items on a roster - that way we can include
enough standard display hints to do fun things. This lets us store
people on there, rooms, and anything else that is represented as a JID.

--
Chris Mullins