[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: MUC Auto-Join

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Jun 4 11:57:07 CDT 2007

Ian Paterson wrote:
> Do we really need presence-triggered invitations?

I don't know. I figured I'd write up the idea so that some enterprising
developers could code it up and see if it's a good idea.

> 1. Room presence publishes the room capabilities

Presence good. We've got it, why not use it?

> 2. The user knows whether room is online or not

I don't think that's compelling, it's just a byproduct of sharing
presence. But enabling the room to know when the user is offline may be
more useful (though we already have that via directed presence).

> 3. The auto-invite works with existing clients - and will therefore be
> deployed more quickly

It's easier to deploy a new version of a MUC component than to deploy
thousands of new clients.

/psa