[Standards] Jingle and invisibility

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Jun 4 17:03:24 CDT 2007

Lauri Kaila wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> XEP-0166 says that the session should be ended when presence of type
> "unavailable" is received from the other party. What if the reason was
> that the other party became invisibe? Session could stay alive, unless
> IQ was also blocked. What if an initiation is received from an
> invisible resource?

Good point. In general, it is probably best not to tie the Jingle
session to presence so closely, so I may remove that note anyway. The
only event that must be considered session-ending is receipt of a
"session-terminate" message. If the other person goes offline by sending
presence of type unavailable, you'll find out soon enough if the session
is over (bounced packets etc.). You may consider the session ended at
that point, but I think that's optional.

XMPP Standards Foundation