[Standards] Jingle initiate and resource determination

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Tue Jun 5 18:26:28 CDT 2007

Lauri Kaila wrote:
> 2007/6/5, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at jabber.org>:
>> Lauri Kaila wrote:
>> > I was trying to sort out Jingle initiation when someone has many
>> > clients (resources) online. XEP-0168 (RAP) is created for that
>> > situation, but does it always work so that the initiation goes where
>> > the receiver wants?
>>
>> We had some relevant discussion starting here:
>> http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2007-March/014046.html

Yes, and the alternative approach was described here:
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2007-February/014000.html

> That's Interesting. If that approach was selected, would it be
> possible to send a stanza to many resources simulteneously? I.e. fork
> session-initiate. Then either server or initiator must deal with many

I'm not sure what that would solve?

The idea behind the approach is that the receiver's resources tell the
receiver's server which resource all Jingle session-initiate stanzas
addressed to the receiver's bareJID should be sent to. The idea being
that the receiver is in the best position to decide which resource
should receive Jingle session-initiate stanzas (not the sender or a server).

- Ian