[Standards] Jingle initiate and resource determination

Lauri Kaila lauri.kaila at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 03:02:39 CDT 2007

2007/6/6, Ian Paterson <ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk>:
> Lauri Kaila wrote:
> > That's Interesting. If that approach was selected, would it be
> > possible to send a stanza to many resources simulteneously? I.e. fork
> > session-initiate. Then either server or initiator must deal with many
>
> I'm not sure what that would solve?

The idea is to let the human decide which ringing client to answer
instead of letting several independent sw to guess what is their
correct priority value. Old wired phones work like that, and Gizmo
VoIP service (uses SIP), for example. Of course it would create new
challenges, especially because transport negotiation starts before
session-accept. I asked because I thought that it could be possible
now, as the server would handle the IQ. But I guess the gain wouldn't
be worth for the increased complexity.

I earlier asked about how different resources could co-operate. What I
had in mind was that if clients would co-operate, maybe simply by
publishing "I'm ringing" info to each other, it would be simple to
call back from another resource. The cost of having the priorities
(RAP or NP) wrong would be lower.

What do you think about this idea: Jingle session receiver publishes
session-initiate, accept and terminate stanzas. That would provide
means to implement "someone calling/sends a file to your PC" note on a
mobile device.

-lauri