[Standards] NEW: XEP-0209 (Metacontacts)

Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Wed Jun 6 04:47:38 CDT 2007

Somewhat delayed reaction.

On 5 May 2007, at 10:21, Etan S. C. Reisner wrote:
> Perhaps I've just missed it but how does this interact with roster
> groups?

The intention was that clients would be able to render the group
membership of the metacontact in some appropriate way of their
choosing. I'm happy to add an implementation note if people think
it'll clarify matters.

> Is the intention that meta-contacts are defined across all groups?
> So that
> if two jids are set as a meta-contact they should be placed
> together in
> all groups that they share? Or do meta-contacts span groups such
> that jids
> from multiple groups are pulled together into one meta-contact in
> one of
> the groups? (Which seems like it would be confusing to me so I'm
> assuming
> was not the intention.)

I imagine the most used implementation would be to show the
metacontact in the group(s) of the primary contact, but any other
rendering is equally valid, to my mind.

> Also, given that a jid can be placed in multiple groups at once
> what is
> the reasoning behind "any jid MUST NOT be specified in this manner
> as a
> member of more than one metacontact within an account"? Was the
> intention
> specifically to forbid having jids in different metacontacts in
> different
> groups (assuming that metacontacts don't span groups)? Or was this
> just to
> keep implementations simple?

The intention was unrelated to group membership; it was simply that a
contact should only belong to one metacontact; since these
metacontacts are a method of pulling the different representations of
a single entity together, having one jid in multiple metacontacts
doesn't really make much sense.

/K

--
Kevin Smith