[Standards] Jingle initiate and resource determination

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Wed Jun 6 05:34:44 CDT 2007

Hi Lauri,

Lauri Kaila wrote:
> The idea is to let the human decide which ringing client to answer
> instead of letting several independent sw to guess what is their
> correct priority value. Old wired phones work like that, and Gizmo
> VoIP service (uses SIP), for example. Of course it would create new
> challenges, especially because transport negotiation starts before
> session-accept. I asked because I thought that it could be possible
> now, as the server would handle the IQ. But I guess the gain wouldn't
> be worth for the increased complexity.

Yes simplicity is good.

I suppose a client that wants to implement this could initiate
simultaneous calls to all the contact's resources that support Jingle,
and then cancel the remaining ringing sessions as soon as one of the
resources either answers or rejects the call.

> I earlier asked about how different resources could co-operate. What I
> had in mind was that if clients would co-operate, maybe simply by
> publishing "I'm ringing" info to each other, it would be simple to
> call back from another resource. The cost of having the priorities
> (RAP or NP) wrong would be lower.

Alternatively, a protocol that allows the resource that receives the
session-initiate to indicate to the sender that it should instead try
opening the session with another fullJID (could be another resource of
the same bareJID). That protocol could work either before or during
"ringing".

[Sorry if that wasn't a sensible comment. I'm not familiar enough with
the latest versions of Jingle to know if a similar protocol already
exists (or, if not, the reasons why it doesn't).]

> What do you think about this idea: Jingle session receiver publishes
> session-initiate, accept and terminate stanzas. That would provide
> means to implement "someone calling/sends a file to your PC" note on a
> mobile device.

Sorry, I didn't understand your idea. Could you please expand it. Thanks.

- Ian