[Standards] NEW: XEP-0209 (Metacontacts)

Etan S. C. Reisner deryni at unreliablesource.net
Wed Jun 6 08:26:55 CDT 2007

On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 01:06:58PM +0200, Yann Leboulanger wrote:
<snip>
> What we do in Gajim is at merge time, we also merge groups, and when we
> change the groups of one of the jids, we also change the groups of others.
>
> --
> Yann

You actually change the <group> data of the contact in the roster when you
merge the metacontacts? That would drive me crazy.

If someone puts a buddy in a group then I would rather strongly suspect
they want them to actually be in that group and I wouldn't go moving them
around so casually. I could see adding extra <group> data to the roster
entry if you really wanted the meta-contact to span groups.

In case it hasn't become clear yet, as far as I'm concerned meta-contacts
should be per-group. If I want two contacts to be combined for me I can go
to the trouble of putting them in the same group.

	-Etan