[Standards] Jingle initiate and resource determination

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed Jun 6 11:30:37 CDT 2007

Lauri Kaila wrote:
> 2007/6/5, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at jabber.org>:
>> Lauri Kaila wrote:
>> > I was trying to sort out Jingle initiation when someone has many
>> > clients (resources) online. XEP-0168 (RAP) is created for that
>> > situation, but does it always work so that the initiation goes where
>> > the receiver wants?
>>
>> We had some relevant discussion starting here:
>> http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2007-March/014046.html
>
> That's Interesting. If that approach was selected, would it be
> possible to send a stanza to many resources simulteneously? I.e. fork
> session-initiate. Then either server or initiator must deal with many

One idea that Joe Hildebrand and I have been kicking around is for
messages of type "headline" to be sent to all online resources. This
would give you forking but only for that message type and not for IQs
(which are sent to full JIDs). So in order to start a Jingle session
with me where I'm not in your roster, the flow would be:

1. You send a stanza session negotiation request (XEP-0155) in a message
of type headline.

2. My server delives it to all of my online resources.

3. I reply from whichever resource I want to use right now.

4. You send a Jingle session-initiate (IQ) to that resource.

/me ponders...

XMPP Standards Foundation