[Standards] NEW: XEP-0209 (Metacontacts)

Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Thu Jun 7 02:03:57 CDT 2007

On 6 Jun 2007, at 23:30, Etan S. C. Reisner wrote:
> Picture two buddies:
>
> My basic question is will the final (displayed) buddy list be?
>
> Friends
>     Benvolio
>     Romeo
> Coworkers
>     Romeo
>
> If the answer to the above is yes then that is good.

It sounds to me like you don't really want metacontacts at all; the
point of metacontacts is to 'roll up' multiple representations of the
same person into one roster item, so you wouldn't see both Benvolio
and Romeo in the same group anyway if they're rolled into one item.

As I've said before though, how the client renders the metacontacts
is up to them; what's important is a consistent way of registering
metacontact membership.

> Ideally I would like a way to make it only merge contacts in certain
> groups but that isn't necessary.

What Psi will probably do when the time comes is to determine the
primary jid in a metacontact, and duplicate the rendering behaviour
of that.

> P.S. Having paused in writing this to read Yann's response I am
> comforted
> that moving buddies seems unlikely to be the interpretation people
> use,
> but I'm not particularly sure I like the copying of groups either.

That's not mandated; I'm sure Gajim's addressing the requirements of
their user base with that implementation.

/K

--
Kevin Smith
Psi XMPP client project leader - http://psi-im.org