[Standards] Jingle initiate and resource determination

Mridul Muralidharan mridul at sun.com
Thu Jun 7 12:51:14 CDT 2007

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Lauri Kaila wrote:
>>>
>>> We had some relevant discussion starting here:
>>> http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2007-March/014046.html
>>
>> That's Interesting. If that approach was selected, would it be
>> possible to send a stanza to many resources simulteneously? I.e. fork
>> session-initiate. Then either server or initiator must deal with many
>
> One idea that Joe Hildebrand and I have been kicking around is for
> messages of type "headline" to be sent to all online resources. This
> would give you forking but only for that message type and not for IQs
> (which are sent to full JIDs). So in order to start a Jingle session
> with me where I'm not in your roster, the flow would be:
>
> 1. You send a stanza session negotiation request (XEP-0155) in a message
> of type headline.
>
> 2. My server delives it to all of my online resources.
>
> 3. I reply from whichever resource I want to use right now.
>
> 4. You send a Jingle session-initiate (IQ) to that resource.
>
> /me ponders...
>
> Peter

both 3921 and bis :
"
headline -- The message is probably generated by an automated service
that delivers or broadcasts content (news, sports, market information,
syndicated content, etc.). No reply to the message is expected, and a
compliant client SHOULD present the message in an interface that
appropriately differentiates the message from standalone messages, chat
sessions, or groupchat sessions (e.g., by not providing the recipient
with the ability to reply).
"

you might want to revisit this.
Also, we special case headline in context of amp w.r.t archiving and
offline storage (if client does not support amp and our server does) :
since it is typically used currently for alerts, notifications, etc by
our bots.

Mridul