[Standards] adding body as RECOMMENDED field for PEP-protocols?

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu Jun 14 16:15:30 CDT 2007

Adam Nemeth wrote:
> On 6/11/07, Olivier Goffart <ogoffart at kde.org> wrote:
>>
>> And i would even put the body element in the root of the message
>> element. So
>> even client that doesn't support pubsub can receive such message
>>

> Hmm... I disagree here a bit, but of course, you're the developer, so
> the final decision is always yours ;) Here are my reasons:
>
> 1) It's not standard compliant I believe: every pubsub event is a
> subchild of <event> field (at least I think this looking at XEP-0060
> examples), so you can't go out of this field anyway without breaking
> the protocol
>
> 2) We want (at least, me :) PEP protocols to spread, so I believe it
> would be a bad idea to let it be granted (after all, it's not a
> message, it's not a presence, but something in between, probably
> closer to presence but not that close)
>
> 3) Personally I'd like to see it through knotify/growl, and not a
> message - since it would be hard to tell if user typed it in or it is
> just automatic eventing from AmaroK. Example:
>
> http://jabbermania.blogspot.com/2007/05/general-pubsub-pep-receiver.html
>
> Look at the picture (mockup of knotify).
>
> Of course it's only my personal taste, but differentiating eventing
> protocols from standard messages is a feature I believe.

This gets back to something that Justin Karneges keeps mentioning. If
you receive a message with a <body/> will your client just assume it's a
regular old chat message? Probably. So then you're going to have all
sorts of messages popping up "Adam is giving a presentation", "Oliver is
  at the movies", "Peter is listening to Heart of the Sunrise" and so
on, it will drive you crazy and you'll quickly curse the day you ever
enabled that feature.