[Standards] compliance: cert(s)

Matthias Wimmer m at tthias.eu
Thu Jun 14 17:42:30 CDT 2007

Peter Saint-Andre schrieb:
> Would it be appropriate to recommend that client and server developers
> bundle support for the root certificate under which the XMPP ICA issues
> domain certificates?

I thought compliance is about supported protocols and not about deployment.

I'd think all servers supporting X.509 certificates will support
installing the StartCom root certificate - if you do install it or not
is a decission of your deployment.

Also I don't think that including the certificate in the base
distribution is something we should add to the compliance level as we do
also not specify is some other feature has to be included in the base
distribution or as a separate installable add-on. And the "add-on
certificate" again can be installed on all servers supporting X.509
certificates.

Maybe we should require instead, that intermediate certificates can be
installed on a compliant server!? Something that is required if you try
to install a certificate, that is issued by the XMPP ICA.

Matthias