[Standards] XEP-0154 and XEP-0084

Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Sat Jun 16 14:09:00 CDT 2007

On 16 Jun 2007, at 19:06, Andreas Monitzer wrote:
> I'm currently working on implementing XMPP features into libpurple.
> I've successfully implemented PEP and User Mood (XEP-0107).

Great!

> Now I'm planning on XEP-0154 (User Profile) and XEP-0084 (User
> Avatar). Those protocols are still experimental, though. Is it wise
> to implement them right now? Why are they still experimental after
> 4 and 3 years of development respectively, are major changes expected?

Avatar would be good to implement, no question. That's not had
implementations (until now) because previously it was pubsub (rather
than pep), which some people had issues with and never implemented,
and then because it was pep and there were no pep servers. Now there
are both pep servers and clients, expect 84 to pop up places (like Psi).

154's trickier. It exists because people have issue with vcard-temp,
but despite this most people are happy with it and continue to use it.

If it were me, I'd not make implementing 154 a priority, but 84 would
be.

My two hundredths of your currency of choice :)

Best,
/K

--
Kevin Smith