[Standards] XEP-0154 and XEP-0084

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Jun 18 10:54:58 CDT 2007

Kevin Smith wrote:
> On 16 Jun 2007, at 19:06, Andreas Monitzer wrote:
>> I'm currently working on implementing XMPP features into libpurple.
>> I've successfully implemented PEP and User Mood (XEP-0107).
>
> Great!
>
>> Now I'm planning on XEP-0154 (User Profile) and XEP-0084 (User
>> Avatar). Those protocols are still experimental, though. Is it wise to
>> implement them right now? Why are they still experimental after 4 and
>> 3 years of development respectively, are major changes expected?

No major changes are expected. They have not been high priorities. I
agree with Kevin that it would be good to push the avatar spec to Draft.
I'm less sure about profiles yet (see below).

> Avatar would be good to implement, no question. That's not had
> implementations (until now) because previously it was pubsub (rather
> than pep), which some people had issues with and never implemented, and
> then because it was pep and there were no pep servers. Now there are
> both pep servers and clients, expect 84 to pop up places (like Psi).

Feedback would be appreciated from developers who have implemented this
spec.

> 154's trickier. It exists because people have issue with vcard-temp, but
> despite this most people are happy with it and continue to use it.

Agreed. I have not seen a great deal of demand for this since people
seem happy enough with vcard-temp. But vcard-temp has a lot of problems
in theory and has been "temp" since 1999. Maybe it's time for something
better. :)

XMPP Standards Foundation