[Standards] Jingle initiate and resource determination

Rachel Blackman rcb at ceruleanstudios.com
Mon Jun 18 12:49:57 CDT 2007

> It seems that perhaps I mis-read Lauri's earlier message.

It's also possible I did; I read it as suggesting that hardcoded
names were an alternative to having to maintain node/ext/namespace
mappings for probing your own resources via caps.  To which I remain
opposed. :)

> There *may* be a need for registered 'app' values in XEP-0168,
> because perhaps it is not straightforward to know application types
> based on XML namespaces. E.g., is a namespace of
> 'urn:xmpp:jingle:audio' (or whatever is issued for XEP-0167) enough
> to tell you that this RAP priority refers to what earlier we were
> calling "jingle-audio"? I think so, but I'm willing to be argued
> out of that position.

I admit I still do not quite see why we should not just use the
namespace in place of 'jingle-audio,' as far as this goes.

Yeah, okay, it's a little longer, but on the other hand it has all
the information we need.  If you support that namespace, you know
that namespace, thus you know the application type.  If you don't
support that namespace, then knowing the other side supports it is
fundamentally fairly useless to you anyway.