[Standards] roster schema

Michal 'vorner' Vaner vorner at ucw.cz
Sat Jun 23 03:01:20 CDT 2007

Hello

On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 03:07:05PM -0600, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Currently, the XML schema for the jabber:iq:roster namespace does not
> limit the length of an item name or a group name. I think that might
> cause problems. In particular I think it might be good to specify that:
>
> 1. The 'name' attribute can be a string between 0 and 1023 characters in
> length. [1]
>
> 2. The XML character data of the <group/> element can be a string
> between 1 and 1023 characters in length.
>
> Objections?

I see one possible problem. If you leave the length infinite, everyone
counts with it as with infinite. If you set the length to N characters,
this may happen:

• Someone says "no more than N will come" and may get a buffer
overflow/whatever.

• Someone checks it is short enough to fit into a buffer, but uses N
bytes instead of characters.

What was the problem with infinite length? (Especially, when we do not
know how much memory it can take anyway).

--
grep me no patterns and I'll tell you no lines.

Michal 'vorner' Vaner