[Standards] roster schema

Michal 'vorner' Vaner vorner at ucw.cz
Sat Jun 23 08:01:20 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 03:07:05PM -0600, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Currently, the XML schema for the jabber:iq:roster namespace does not
> limit the length of an item name or a group name. I think that might
> cause problems. In particular I think it might be good to specify that:
> 1. The 'name' attribute can be a string between 0 and 1023 characters in
> length. [1]
> 2. The XML character data of the <group/> element can be a string
> between 1 and 1023 characters in length.
> Objections?

I see one possible problem. If you leave the length infinite, everyone
counts with it as with infinite. If you set the length to N characters,
this may happen:

• Someone says "no more than N will come" and may get a buffer

• Someone checks it is short enough to fit into a buffer, but uses N
bytes instead of characters.

What was the problem with infinite length? (Especially, when we do not
know how much memory it can take anyway).

grep me no patterns and I'll tell you no lines.

Michal 'vorner' Vaner