[Standards] roster schema

Michal 'vorner' Vaner vorner at ucw.cz
Sun Jun 24 02:43:53 CDT 2007

Hello

On Sat, Jun 23, 2007 at 08:11:58PM -0600, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Michal 'vorner' Vaner wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 03:07:05PM -0600, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> >> Currently, the XML schema for the jabber:iq:roster namespace does not
> >> limit the length of an item name or a group name. I think that might
> >> cause problems. In particular I think it might be good to specify that:
> >
> > What was the problem with infinite length? (Especially, when we do not
> > know how much memory it can take anyway).
>
> Typically, both the handle (i.e., the value of the 'name' attribute) and
> the group name are stored in a database. If you can put the complete
> text of RFC 3920 as the handle and the complete text of RFC 3921 as the
> group name, then those values probably can't be stored as sent. Also if
> these strings can be of infinite length then the packets may become too
> big to process in the server (10 Meg roster set, anyone?). It seems
> reasonable to limit the sizes. I doubt that anyone will ever set handles
> or group names to be even 1024 characters in length, but at least that
> limit will enable client and server developers to handle the roster
> items and make sure that roster sets and pushes can be processed.

Well, but by the string length, you do not specify the upper limit of
the bytes sent/stored.

And it would seem more reasonable to specify (or allow servers to do so)
the limit of stanza? Because it is not only the roster then, but private
storage, privacy lists...

If there must be a limit, then I think the limit should be enforcible by
the server, and if server wants to have 2047, then why not?

And besides, wouldn't be better to just truncate the name, with 3 dots,
for example?

--
No, you will not fix me
		Computer