[Standards] roster schema

Michal 'vorner' Vaner vorner at ucw.cz
Sun Jun 24 09:38:34 CDT 2007

Hello

On Sun, Jun 24, 2007 at 03:39:21PM +0200, Matthias Wimmer wrote:
>  Joe Hildebrand schrieb:
> > +1 for limiting it.
> > However, 1024 octets please, rather than characters, like JIDs.
>
>  +1 for limiting it
>
>  ... but please based on characters, not on octets. (I also voted against
>  limiting JIDs based on octets.)
>
>  Reasons:
>  - Modern database systems as well as modern programming languages do store
>  characters, not bytes.
>  - XMPP is based on top of XML and XML does handle characters, not bytes.
>  (e.g. you cannot store a NULL byte in XML, even not as an entity)
>  - A limitation based on characters is what a user will expect. (e.g. "Why
>  can I enter 1024 times the letter 'a' here but only 341 times the character
>  €?")
>  - In GUI forms you can often already limit the number of characters a user
>  can enter, but mostly you cannot limit the number of octets the UTF-8
>  representation of the string the user has entered.
>
>  ... I'd even propose that the JID limitation should be changed to characters
>  in RFC3920bis.

I agree that if there is a limit for JIDs, it must be everywhere the
same.

But, the limit can be server specific. And I do not know if it is really
needed to limit in the protocol. If someone wants to name someone as a
whole text of encyclopedia, he can expect the server will not act nice to
him (drop the connection, truncate it, drop the item, whatever).

Do we really need to have the limitation in the protocol?

--
==
It can contain harmful instructions if read backwards.

Michal 'vorner' Vaner