[Standards] roster schema

Andrew Plotkin erkyrath at eblong.com
Sun Jun 24 10:01:26 CDT 2007

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007, Michal 'vorner' Vaner wrote:

> And it would seem more reasonable to specify (or allow servers to do so)
> the limit of stanza? Because it is not only the roster then, but private
> storage, privacy lists...
>
> If there must be a limit, then I think the limit should be enforcible by
> the server, and if server wants to have 2047, then why not?

Only if we can guarantee that there will never be cases where one server
has to store (or cache) another server's entry. That's a worrisome promise
to make.

A fixed limit also makes it easier for an admin to migrate server software
transparently to his users.

I admit that not a lot of people are going to hit this edge case, but in
principle...

--Z

*
Making a saint out of Reagan is sad. Making an idol out of Nixon ("If the
President does it then it's legal") is contemptible.