Rachel Blackman rcb at ceruleanstudios.com
Wed Jun 27 03:40:22 CDT 2007

On Jun 27, 2007, at 1:32 AM, Jacek Konieczny wrote:

>> But second, and more importantly, not one single person has offered a
>> solution other than 'make every extension hardcoded' or 'just probe
>> each contact, cache only per-JID,' which returns us to the original
>> troublesome network-flooding behavior on logins.
>
> That is not true. Years ago I have proposed other solution:

Alright, then, I stand corrected; I didn't remember that one, but as
you said 'years ago' I'll correct my statement to 'not one single
person /recently/.'

As for your idea, if you believe in it, then XEP it.  Seriously.
That's the first step to take in getting it approved and adopted.

The reason we have entity capabilities is that it got written up as a
XEP, pushed forward, discussed by everyone on standards, moved to a
voting stage when no alternative XEP was presented, and got
accepted.  It's not a conspiracy, it's not shutting out alternatives,
it's just that no one seems interested in /writing up/ any
alternative they propose as an actual formal XEP.

Got an idea?  Write a XEP, and a reference implementation.  Present
both! :)