[Standards] mobile optimizations (was: Re: Google Androïd SDK not XMPP compliant ?)
stpeter at stpeter.im
Thu Feb 14 14:08:53 CST 2008
Dave Cridland wrote:
> I'm aware that there are several mobile client developers present - if
> there's any good to be found here, a concrete proposal for mobile XMPP
> would be an excellent step forward.
Sounds like a good topic of discussion at the devcon next week.
> I'm assuming that XEP-0138,
> XEP-0198, and probably some sort of roster optimization would all be
> useful, for example, but best practises for servers aiming to optimize
> for mobile clients (perhaps by buffering the initial presence surge to
> gain better compression, for example) would be useful too.
Here's a list of things we might talk about:
1. Recommendations regarding when to use the TCP binding and when to use
the HTTP binding (BOSH).
2. Compression via TLS or XEP-0138 (use it!). Also binary XML as a
3. Fast reconnect to avoid TLS+SASL+resource-binding packets.
4. ETags for roster-get (see XEP-0150, let's resurrect that).
5. Advisability of presence-only connections (no roster-get, just send
presence and whatever you receive is nice).
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 7338 bytes
Desc: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature
Url : http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/attachments/20080214/c1364859/attachment-0001.bin
More information about the Standards