[Standards] mobile optimizations (was: Re: Google Androïd SDK not XMPP compliant ?)

Fabio Forno fabio.forno at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 21:54:01 UTC 2008

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 9:08 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:
> Dave Cridland wrote:
>  > I'm aware that there are several mobile client developers present - if
>  > there's any good to be found here, a concrete proposal for mobile XMPP
>  > would be an excellent step forward.
>  Sounds like a good topic of discussion at the devcon next week.

>  Here's a list of things we might talk about:
>  1. Recommendations regarding when to use the TCP binding and when to use
>  the HTTP binding (BOSH).
>  2. Compression via TLS or XEP-0138 (use it!). Also binary XML as a
>  compression mechanism.
>  3. Fast reconnect to avoid TLS+SASL+resource-binding packets.

together with 1) best practices for keeping the session alive within
the connection manager when using bosh

>  4. ETags for roster-get (see XEP-0150, let's resurrect that).

In fact I was wondering why it was forgotten..,

>  5. Advisability of presence-only connections (no roster-get, just send
>  presence and whatever you receive is nice).

In fact we're are using this technique in our mobile client, and there
aren't particular problems. The only problem is that we're still
receiving a huge burst of presence, especially if in the roster there
are many bots that are always online. It's should be nice if the
connection were able to pack and compact presence info (not easy since
some presence stanza may take a while before receiving it) or extend
ETags for more volatile data such as presence.

Fabio Forno, Ph.D.
Bluendo srl http://www.bluendo.com
jabber id: ff at jabber.bluendo.com