[Standards] Collection Oversights in XEP-0060

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Wed Jul 2 21:20:45 UTC 2008

At http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2008-June/019234.html
(sorry, I lost the original message) Nathan Fritz wrote:

 > Examples 216 and 219, the notification of disassociation/association
 > are neither a followup of the example that they show, nor does the
 > collection have a node reference.  The attribute "id" is mentioned as
 > being in the associate/disassociate element, when in fact "node" is
 > used.

 > In short, the example doesn't match the text (nor does it flow with
 > the previous examples), and the receiving entity has no idea which
 > collection node is being updated just based on this notification.
 > Section 9.2 has a similar inconsistency between the "id" attribute
 > being mentioned in the text and the "node" attribute being used in
 > the example, however the lack "node" attribute in the collection
 > attribute is understandable for the root collection.

Ralph and I agreed that if we're talking about the root collection node,
the value of the NodeID needs to be empty, that is:

    <collection node="">

 > Section 9.7 is not clear whether this item subscription is recursive.
 > Will it update me of collections within collections within
 > collections?

If an item is published to a (leaf) node, anyone who is subscribed to a
collection that aggregates that leaf node will receive the item, even if
there are other intermediate collections between the leaf node and the
subscribed collection. Or at least that's how things work today. This
enables you to have multiple aggregation points within the pubsub system.

See also this:

I may add pictures for all those different models so that people can
understand it more easily. :)