[Standards] thread destruction

Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Tue Jul 15 09:20:19 CDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 12:04 AM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:
> XEP-0085 says:
>
>   Upon receiving a <gone/> event, a client MUST NOT re-use
>   the same Thread ID and MUST generate a new Thread ID for
>   any subsequent chat messages sent to the conversation
>   partner.
>
> XEP-0201 says:
>
>   An entity ... SHOULD NOT destroy the thread if a human
>   user merely disengages from the chat session (e.g., by
>   closing a window in a client interface).
>
> Clearly these two recommendations are in conflict, so we need
> to reconcile them. I'm not yet sure which way I lean.

I don't think these two are in conflict - I think it's the definition
of <gone/> as being the closing of a chat window that's at fault :)
I don't quite know what to suggest instead, but I know that <gone/> is
broken as-is, because it seems like a decent number of people work by
only keeping a chat open for a single message, and close it
immediately.

/K