[Standards] offline delivery when the connection is broken

Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Tue Jul 15 10:45:41 CDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 4:35 PM, Jehan
<Jehan.3clj1z at no-mx.jabberforum.org> wrote:
> Anyway don't you think this would be better to improve client and
> server implementations rather than adding a new layer atop all the
> current one? XMPP is made to be exchanged on top of a reliable
> connection (most common and the one it has mostly been designed for
> being TCP!). In such context you already have aknowledgments about
> succeeded transfer or not.

Oh if it were that simple :)
I believe this has been discussed before at greater length than I have
the knowledge to repeat but the summary is:
1) Your application may not be able to get the TCP/IP state directly
enough from the stack to know about failures.
2) Your TCP/IP stack, or your provider's, may be neutered such that
the ACKs don't mean anything useful anyway.
3) You might be using a different transport.

/K