[Standards] pubsub simplification

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Tue Jul 29 02:52:51 CDT 2008

On Tue Jul 29 06:49:41 2008, Kevin Smith wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 9:58 PM, Peter Saint-Andre
> <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:
> > In accordance with XMPP Council consensus, I have provisionally
> separated
> > all the information about pubsub collections into a new spec:
> > I wonder if at the same time we might want to move the
> information about
> > presence integration from XEP-0060 back to XEP-0163?
>
> I'm in favour of splitting collections, but not so much of splitting
> out presence - we spent quite a long time deciding that 163 should
> only be a profile of 60, from what I recall.

As a suggestion - and I'm only highlighting options - we could split
out the fancier things into one or more new specifications, leaving
XEP-0060 as a core, with extra XEPs holding additional features, and
XEP-0163 binds XEP-0060 and a selection of brightly coloured coat
hangers into the profile that is PEP.

I'm not sure if this is a good idea, mind - it's not clear to me if
this gives a net benefit or not - but it would keep XEP-0163's
"profile" status.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at dave.cridland.net
  - http://dave.cridland.net/