[Standards] pubsub simplification

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Tue Jul 29 09:55:38 CDT 2008

On Tue Jul 29 15:18:01 2008, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Ralph Meijer wrote:
>> Dave Cridland wrote:

>>> As a suggestion - and I'm only highlighting options - we could
>>> split out the fancier things into one or more new specifications,
>>> leaving XEP-0060 as a core, with extra XEPs holding additional
>>> features, and XEP-0163 binds XEP-0060 and a selection of brightly
>>> coloured coat hangers into the profile that is PEP.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure if this is a good idea, mind - it's not clear to me
>>> if this gives a net benefit or not - but it would keep XEP-0163's
>>> "profile" status.
>>
>> I was thinking the same thing, indeed.
>
> Right. So not all pubsub-related features would be defined in
> XEP-0060, because certain "profiles" (the only example we have so
> far is PEP) would define new node configuration options and the
> like. The result would be that XEP-0060 defines the core (is that
> just "pub" and "sub"?) whilst other specs define things like
> collections, presence integration, filtered notifications,
> subscription options, management of subscription requests by the
> node owner and other such administrative tasks, etc. So we'd have a
> stripped-down XEP-0060 and a bunch of extensions to the pubsub core.

But, in this scenario - and I reiterate, I'm not sold on it yet
myself - XEP-0163 would remain just a profile, gathering together a
set of mandatory options and default behaviours, rather than defining
anything new itself.

Another profile would probably appear which described a different set
for "traditional pubsub".

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at dave.cridland.net
  - http://dave.cridland.net/