[Standards] presence priority -1 issues

Pedro Melo melo at simplicidade.org
Thu Jul 31 11:17:40 CDT 2008

On Jul 30, 2008, at 7:25 PM, Dave Cridland wrote:

> On Wed Jul 30 13:55:56 2008, Pedro Melo wrote:
>> The most important part of -1 resources are their caps. For
>> example,  I can have a calendar app logged in with my own jid,
>> accepting some  namespace for calendar updates or meeting requests.
>
> Are you suggesting a sort of negative disco feature which indicates
> that the XMPP entity is not an IM resource at all?

Yes, I suggested that in the past.

> Could this be done with a suitable category/type?

Probably.

Maybe a new type under automation? See http://www.xmpp.org/registrar/disco-categories.html#automation

> Moving forward, this would allow clever clients to observe that it
> wasn't a IM client capable of handling calendaring requests, but a
> dumb calendaring bot working on behalf of the user.

Not following.

> If you're not suggesting this, can I suggest it? :-)

Go crazy :)

At SAPO, we used sapo:no-chat as a disco feature for SMS contacts. It
would signal compliant clients not to use their presence as an
indication of online in a multi-contact setup.

This allowed us to have a multi-contact, with IM and SMS Jids, but
only using the presence information of the IM contacts.

Best regards,
--
Pedro Melo
XMPP ID: melo at simplicidade.org