[Standards] Errata, and some suggestions to various specs

Waqas waqas20 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 15:19:14 CST 2008

A file I have been adding to while recently going over the specs with
an implementor's point of view:

===== Start errata.txt =====

(XMPP-IM)

|  "To + Pending In"       |  MUST    |  "Pending In"             |

should be

|  "To + Pending In"       |  MUST    |  "None + Pending In"      |

---
http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0049.html (Private XML Storage)

The XEP doesn't specify what to do when a user requests non-existing
private data. Servers seem to return the stanza as is, and no error.
This should be explicitly specified.

It would also be useful for there to be a way for the client to ask
the server to list all data stored for that client. I'm for example
interested in learning what my various clients might have stored over
the years. Doing that when the client has not sent a child for the
query element would be a simple and backwards compatible way to do it.

---
http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0049.html#example-3 (Private XML Storage)

Since the preceding text states:

  "the server MUST return a "Forbidden" or "Service Unavailable" error
to the sender (the latter condition is in common use by existing
implementations, although the former is preferable)."

the example should preferably use a "Forbidden" error.

---
http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0049.html#example-4 (Private XML Storage)

Since the preceding test states "the server SHOULD return a "Bad
Format" error", therefore, the example SHOULD use a "Bad Format"
error.

---
http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0228.html#intro (Requirements for Shared Editing)

"have been developed usign XMPP"

should be

"have been developed using XMPP"

---
http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0045.html#invite-direct (Multi-User Chat)

"A method for sending a direct invitation (not mediated by the room
itself) is defined in another specification."

Saying "another specification" is rather vague. I have no idea which
other specification is being referred to.

===== End errata.txt =====

Hopefully this was the Right Way to post these. I was wondering if I
should have posted these separately, particularly the part about
XEP-0049.

--
Waqas Hussain