[Standards] Section 2.3 of XEP-0107

Jonathan Schleifer js-xmpp-standards at webkeks.org
Sun Nov 9 04:05:58 CST 2008

Hi!

In Gajim, this diff was recently committed:

http://trac.gajim.org/changeset/10593

That lead to a discussion in the Gajim team whether that is right.
Section 2.3 of XEP-0107 says:

“A user MAY provide a mood extension in a specific message in order to
lend a defined emotional tone to the text.”

To me, this sounds like you can attach a mood to a single message so
that the receiving client can present that to the user together with
the message somehow, not replacing the global mood set - which,
honestly, sounds pretty useless to me.

But on the other side, the Gajim diff uses this to attach the mood to
every message sent when PEP is not supported, showing it as the global
mood when received and replacing a mood received via PEP, if any was
received.

To me, this sounds wrong.

All this brings me to the question:

Is Section 2.3 useful or should it be removed? I personally don't
think it should be used as a workaround if the server doesn't support
PEP, as that's unwanted traffic (attached to every message, even
sending when the receiving entitiy doesn't support moods etc.). If it
wasn't meant as a workaround if the server doesn't support PEP, I
wonder if it should be removed so it won't be abused for that purpose,
as its use if used like I understood is questionable.

--
Jonathan