[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0224 (Attention)

Jehan Jehan.3irhqz at no-mx.jabberforum.org
Wed Nov 12 12:14:22 UTC 2008

Hi again,

Jehan;4925 Wrote:
> Hi,
> 4. Maybe even from people authorized to send this kind of attention,
> there should be some limit? Wouldn't it be an issue if some of my
> contact were sending me a hundred of "attention" and if my screen would
> keep shaking/vibrating/etc.?

Just to be clearer on this point. I saw it was considered in the
"implementation notes" section (just to prevent remarks :p), but I am
pointing it as being a security concern rather that just an
implementation choice.
The same way it can be a problem to get attention from unknown people
(it could be some kind of annoying attack, maybe not really harmful, but
still annoying); even from people you "know", or have had at least some
contact, it can be annoying too if they overdo "attention" queries (and
you don't always know perfectly people in your roster anyway). Hence if
they are able to send you hundreds of attention who shock your display
in a few lapse of time, I would consider this a security concern...

And one last point I forgot in my previous message. When it is said:
> However, since some users might not want this feature to disturb them,
> a client SHOULD allow the user to disable support.

For my own, a better advice is to have it disabled by default (then
without advertise it at this point) and give the possibility to enable
this support, not the opposite as proposed here. Many people may install
a XMPP client without thinking about it and get disturbed when this
happens the first time, especially if they don't know such feature (I
heard some stories of people thinking their computer had an issue for
days, until someone told them it was MSN!). This kind of feature is not
really "major", hence should be only explicitely enabled (like an extra
feature when you know what you are doing).

Jehan's Profile: http://www.jabberforum.org/member.php?userid=16911
View this thread: http://www.jabberforum.org/showthread.php?t=966