[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0224 (Attention)

Jehan Jehan.3irupn at no-mx.jabberforum.org
Wed Nov 12 16:54:29 UTC 2008

Remko Tronçon;4934 Wrote:
> It's much easier to do this type of filtering in the client itself
> (it's just an <attention/> stanza), so I don't see any reason for
> going into any more details. Just mentioning that the client should
> allow a user to disable it is enough; at what granularity or any other
> detail (such as maximum attention send rate and those crazy things) is
> left to the client, and should be left out of protocol specs like
> this.

The difference when this job is left to the client is that people
"think" you receive their "attention" signal. If you advertise the
support to everyone, but let your client discard them, except for some
people, your contacts who have sent one (which has been discarded) would
think you have received it, and either don't want to answer, or that the
software is broken, or else.

Being able to advertise it on a server side would allow the contact's
client to "know" if you are accepting it specifically for them. So the
contact's client may "gray" this functionnality for you for instance.

In such case, if the contact sends one "attention" anyway, then your
client can still discard it, but then it is the contact's client which
is to be fixed. If you advertise the support to anyone but in reality
discard nearly all of them, then everyone's client is working fine
according to the XEP, but still there is something broken somewhere for
the users... So this is not good for the user experience.

Jehan's Profile: http://www.jabberforum.org/member.php?userid=16911
View this thread: http://www.jabberforum.org/showthread.php?t=966