[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0220 (Server Dialback)

Philipp Hancke fippo at goodadvice.pages.de
Thu Nov 13 05:27:35 CST 2008

Dave Cridland wrote:

> Well, going forward, I'm hoping we'll remove the need for dialback at
> all. I'd like to hope it remains purely as a stub protocol for
> connection reuse, and that db:verify simply disappears in a puff of
> certificate equality checking. (Which it could do, I think).

Get a large list of servers and check how often this would work in
practice. I wonder if the old ratio of 1/10 from 2007 is still valid.

If you want to remove dialback, maybe we should check if it can be
replaced by a dns lookup. Historically I that dialback is a result of
jabberd not binding to the proper ip address:
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/xmppwg/2002-October/000155.html

> Two questions:
>
> 1) Do any server implementations actually do piggybacking anymore?

I have a recent log of gmail.com piggybacking googlemail.com.

Philipp