[Standards] Unified Cloud Interface (UCI) for XMPP

Reuven Cohen ruv at enomaly.com
Mon Nov 24 18:18:09 UTC 2008

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post to the XMPP standards list.

A few months ago a number of us came together to create "The Cloud
Computing Interoperability Forum". The purpose of this group is to
discuss the creation of a common cloud computing interface. The group
is made up of a some of the largest cloud related vendors and startups
who all share the goal of cloud interoperability as well reducing
cross cloud complexity. (http://groups.google.com/group/cloudforum)

I'd like to take a moment to explain my cloud interoperability ideas.
After various conversations, our concept is starting to take shape and
is based on what I'm called the "unified cloud interface" (aka cloud
broker). The cloud broker will serve as a common interface for the
interaction with remote platforms, systems, networks, data, identity,
applications and services. A common set of cloud definitions will
enable vendors to exchange management information between remote cloud

The unified cloud interface (UCI) or cloud broker will be composed of
a specification and a schema. The schema provides the actual model
descriptions, while the specification defines the details for
integration with other management models. UCI will be implemented as
an extension to the Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP)
specifically as a XMPP Extension Protocol or XEP.

The unified cloud model will address both Platform as a service
offerings such as Google App Engine, Azure and Force.com as well as
infrastructure cloud platforms such as Amazon EC2. Ultimately this
model will enable a decentralized yet extensible hybrid cloud
computing environment with a focus on secure global asynchronous

Once we are in general agreement on the draft proposal, it will be
submitted for approval by the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF)
for inclusion as a XMPP Extension and presented at the IEEE
International Workshop on Cloud Computing (Cloud 2009) being held in
May 18-21, 2009, in Shanghai, China.

My draft is based on a combination of working being done in
conjunction to XMPP, CIM, Xam and several other standardization

Comments welcome.

Reuven Cohen
Founder & Chief Technologist, Enomaly Inc.
blog > www.elasticvapor.com
Open Source Cloud Computing > www.enomaly.com