[Standards] Stanza Size Limits (was Re: [jdev] Communicate between two client instances of the same ID)

Pedro Melo melo at simplicidade.org
Wed Sep 3 15:24:00 CDT 2008

Hi,

On Sep 3, 2008, at 8:29 PM, Justin Karneges wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 September 2008 10:07:09 Artur Hefczyc wrote:
>>>
>>> I like that.
>>>
>>> /psa
>>
>> +1
>>
>> I like this too. The server can inform a client ahead of time what
>> traffic limits are going to be enforced.
>
> This is more of a server limit though.  The client still needs a
> way to
> negotiate its own limit, and have the server protect the client
> from stanzas
> larger than that limit.

ehe, Firewall XEP :).

What if your own server breaks that limit, for example, sending you
the roster? Peter would be in trouble... :)

Are we really going for the ICMP can't fragment error road?

Servers already have Max stanza size on C2S and S2S. Do we really
need more protection than that? Each time we had a error back to the
sender, we increase complexity on all the clients. And some stanzas
are really hard to break in two...

Best regards,
--
Pedro Melo