[Standards] Stanza Size Limits (was Re: [jdev] Communicate between two client instances of the same ID)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Thu Sep 4 09:30:58 CDT 2008

Fabio Forno wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 4:13 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:
>
>>> This would signal the client that the max stanza size is 65355 bytes, and
>>> the max allowed rate of stanzas per second is 10.
>> I like that.
>>
>> /psa
>>

> What happens to your roster in that case? ;)

We need roster sequencing. And especially I do. :) So please provide
some feedback on XEP-0237.

> Not only a  joke. Some extensions like ibb can support any size
> limitations, but other stanzas like rosters, large data forms or pub
> sub events have no mechanisms for being split into several packets

In current implementations (AFAIK), stanzas that you exchange directly
with your server (e.g., roster, vCard) are exempt from the stanza size
limits. But if you try to send a big stanza to someone else, the limit
is enforced. Among other things, this means that you can upload a big
vCard but if someone tries to retrieve it the request will fail.

/psa