[Standards] roster sequencing

Pedro Melo melo at simplicidade.org
Fri Sep 5 15:50:04 CDT 2008

On Sep 4, 2008, at 6:52 PM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

> Pavel Simerda wrote:
>> +1 for a generic method
>
> Yeah, that means I need to re-work XEP-0237. :(

:(

I wouldn't. We talked a lot to get 237 to the place where it is now.
In the process I *believe* we discussed using 0059.

I find 0237 elegant and simple to implement on most servers.

Before starting 0237 all over again, I was hoping to hear from server
implementors about this.

I understand the desire of having solutions that work likes tools,
that we can reuse on several places. But  just because it looks like
a nail, we shouldn't just get the hammer.

For example, rosters have this property where a single "age" flag can
be used to send the roster delta with little effort on the server
(assuming a SQL-style backend). Do we sacrifice that just to use a
standard "tool"?

Its not clear to me.

Best regards,
--