[Standards] Best approach for Shared XML editing

Yann Biancheri ybiancheri at wimba.com
Thu Sep 11 15:43:37 UTC 2008

Hi everybody,

We are looking at ways to implement whiteboarding over XMPP and we've
found lots of interesting proposals in the community already. We are
particularly interested in the sxe [1] and sxde [2] ones. It seems
that sxde has been written first and has leads to sxe. What we like
with sxde is that it is less verbose than sxe since you can directly
add an xml element qualified with it's namespaces, attributes,
contents whereas in sxe you would have to issue one command to create
the element, and one for each of the attributes which in the end
result in a lot of xml to send in the XMPP band. On the other hand,
sxe is more recent, seems cleaner and more generic.
We were wondering if there were any other reasons such as protocol
flaws behind the move from sxde to sxe?  Or if we could use one or the
other eitherway?
Thanks a lot for the feedback

- Yann

[1] http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/sxe.html