[Standards] Best approach for Shared XML editing

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Thu Sep 11 14:32:23 CDT 2008

On Thu Sep 11 19:30:24 2008, Fletcher, Boyd C. CIV US USJFCOM JFL
J9935 wrote:
> I think the key thing to note is that while at a basic level
> whiteboarding can be editing an xml document (ie SVG), there are
> many additional things like page control,  cursor control/movement,
> presentation control, pan/zoom syncing, etc.... that are well
> beyond xml document editing.

100% in agreement here.

>  Its for these types of  reasons that we think a custom protocol
> for whiteboarding is required and

Beginning to lose me here - I think this could more than likely be
done as a control protocol either in parallel or layered with an XML
exchange protocol.

>  that using an approach like sxde is only going to hamper the
> whiteboard/presentation capabilities in the future.

Lost me - I dislike SXE, but I think the approach - build a generic
XML sync protocol, and build whiteboarding on top - is good.

OTOH, RFC 5261 came out today. And that seems to be reasonably sane
looking, but capable of everything that SXE can do, too.

I'd encourage both the TransVerse team and Joonas to go read it.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at dave.cridland.net
  - http://dave.cridland.net/