[Standards] [Fwd: Re: Namespace well-formedness and RFC3920bis backwards compatibility]

Brendan Taylor whateley at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 19:44:20 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 11:10:37AM +0100, Dave Cridland wrote:
> - the majority of the time we don't parse the inner XML of stanzas, and
> doing so would be a significant performance hit to us.

Surely you must parse it, or how do you detect ill-formed XML?

> And given that circumstance, it seems to me that requiring servers to
> always detect and reject bad prefixes is distinctly onerous.

Is it that much more onerous than requiring them to always detect and
reject other types of ill-formed XML?

The whole point of using XML for XMPP rather than some custom format is
that you can take any compliant parser and use it without problems.
Right now client implementors can't do that.