[Standards] Stanza Size Limits (was Re: [jdev] Communicate between two client instances of the same ID)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Thu Sep 18 11:15:10 CDT 2008

Justin Karneges wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 September 2008 21:47:55 Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/stanzalimits.html
>>
>> We never published that, though...
>
> Oh, cool.  I was going to suggest a XEP for that stuff, too. :)
>
> I still think the minimum recommended supported size belongs in xmpp-core
> though.

I've just added the following text to my working copy:

******

9.5.  Stanza Size

XMPP is optimized for the exchange of relatively large numbers of
relatively small stanzas. A client or server MAY enforce a maximum
stanza size. The maximum stanza size MUST NOT be smaller than 10000
bytes, from the opening "<" character to the closing ">" character. If
an entity receives a stanza that exceeds its maximum stanza size, it
MUST return a <not-acceptable/> stanza error or a <policy-violation/>
stream error.

******