[Standards] reliable messaging

Remko Tronçon remko at el-tramo.be
Wed Jun 17 11:20:32 UTC 2009

> It's possible, I suppose, that the remote client went offline before the
> <message/>, and came back online after, just in time to get the <iq/>, but
> it seems terribly unlikely, especially as you'd also see a <presence/>
> update as it came back online.

Well, there's not much worse than a reliable messaging protocol that isn't
100% reliable. If there's the slightest possibility that this fails (e.g.
client going offline and coming online with the same resource, and for some
reason the presence doesn't get through), then it shouldn't be used as a way
to acknowledge receipt.